Skip to content

Practice Areas

Employment Authorization/Advance Parole

Most immigrants with pending applications for permanent residency (as distinguished from family or employed based petitions) are entitled to obtain employment authorization and/or advance parole (permission to travel outside the United States). In addition, certain applications once granted, such as temporary protected status or deferred action, entitle an immigrant to employment authorization. Obtaining an employment authorization document (or EAD) is usually the first step to obtaining a valid social security number, and then a valid driver’s license and/or state identification card.