Employment Authorization/Advance Parole

Most immigrants with pending applications for permanent residency (as distinguished from family or employed based petitions) are entitled to obtain employment authorization and/or advance parole (permission to travel outside the United States). In addition, certain applications once granted, such as temporary protected status or deferred action, entitle an immigrant to work authorization. Obtaining an employment authorization document (or EAD) is usually the first step to obtaining a social security number, and then a valid driver’s license and/or state identification card.

Please note that immigration law is extraordinarily complicated, and for every rule there is an exception. The information on this website is therefore only a survey of the general principles of American immigration law, and should not be taken as legal advice regarding a specific case or fact pattern. If you would like an appointment to receive an analysis of your specific case, please contact our office.
Updated and monitored by SmartCloud Web Solutions